Friday, August 12, 2011

Homemade Fruit Leather / Fruit Roll Ups

PS - don't ask me why the formatting on this got all screwy... I have no idea! I shared this on another blog, copy & pasted and the formatting is all whacky! Oh well, I give up!

I must say… talk about easy! I really thought it was going to be difficult, but it wasn’t!
This specific fruit leather is a berry-blend… I used:

Ingredients:
2 lbs of strawberries
4.4 oz of blueberries (standard small package size)
and apx 1/4-1/2 lb of grapes (enough to make 32 oz of puree)
You can use almost any fruit. Try the fruit first, and if it seems a little tart, or needs some sweetening, add about 1 tbsp of honey or corn syrup. Taste test to see what is good for you!

Directions
Puree all ingredients (blender, food processor, etc)

With Dehydrator:
  • Grease your fruit leather tray (Pam works for me)
  • Pour your fruit puree on the fruit leather tray
  • Set dehydrator between 130-140 degrees
  • Let dehydrate for 4-8 hours (time depends on the thickness of your fruit leather, which fruits you are using, etc)Without Dehydrator:
  • Set your oven to the lowest setting possible (probably around 140 degrees, or aim between 130-140 degrees)
  • Place heavy duty plastic wrap or wax paper on baking sheet
  • Pour fruit puree on a thin layer (or to desired thickness) on the tray
  • Dehydrate for 4-8 hours.

Now, I’ve never actually done the oven method… let me know how it turns out! Here is an article with more on dehydrating with an oven

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

My little guy loves fruit leather. I think I need to try out this recipe.

I'm a new follower from the blog hop!

Marlana said...

Hi Sylvia!

I hope you enjoy it! It's so fun and easy. You can just use whatever fruit you like!

Thanks for following! I just followed you back!

See you around!
Marlana

Posh said...

I used to have a food dryer and would make lots of goodies.
Stopping by from the Friday hops to say hello.
You can visit me at
http://poshonabudget.com/2011/08/friday-friend-connect-3.html

Have a great day!
POSH