Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Quiet time

How does one make the time for inner reflection? Perhaps time for meditation? Simply time to reflect upon the day? Where do you even begin?

Working full time and raising a family leaves, I'm sure, all of us asking these questions.  I've been at my job a year and a half and I've yet to find a way to find the balance.  Maybe this is something we all constantly battle... finding the time for your pleasure. Going further, the deeper question that is probing at me tonight is: what happens when we become complacent? Is this how people get "stuck in a rut"? Do people slowly accept that they can never find the proper balance in life, thus leading to the complacent life?  I'm not saying complacency is a bad thing; I'm sure it is fine for some.  However, my conundrum is that I still have so much more I want to do.  My list could go on for quite a while of all the things I'm constantly trying to find the balance between.  What seems to notoriously happen is instead of achieving, or at least working towards these ambitions, I become overwhelmed by "I can't find the time" syndrome, and everything seems to slip away.

I've always hated the excuse, "I can't find the time," because deep down I know it is just that - an excuse. Instead I revamp my wording to a little more honesty - I haven't made the time, and to be a little more honest, I don't know how to make the time. Apparently time management is not my forte. Sure, when it comes to the family I am incredibly prompt and manage to get everywhere early, but when it comes to my own goals, I don't know where to start. I come home from work and of course I'm exhausted.  Where do I even begin finding the energy to do all that I'd like to do?  Worse off, if I don't make the time, am I just going to fall into that terrible place of complacency.

I don't want to look back on life and say, "Coulda shoulda woulda."  I don't want people to look at me and say, "She had so much potential." What I want is people to look at me and say, "She's going places."

Maybe the place to start is with the Law of Attraction mentality. I need to keep telling myself I will achieve my goals, and tell myself that each day I will be give myself time for inner reflection or work on my goals.  Perhaps that has been the problem all along is allowing negative thoughts to penetrate my mind when really they must be filled with good blissful thoughts to achieve the goals I'd like to achieve.

Those who are reading-- how/what/where/when do you find time to reflect on the day, to work towards your own goals?

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I use to stress over all the things I needed to do and what everyone else needed to do. So now I offer each task and goals up to God and tell myself I dedicate this to God and it makes feel better about getting the task or goal accomplished.

Unknown said...

Well, I don't have kids, but that's about the only thing I can't relate to in this article. I struggle every day trying to figure my life out, and unfortunately I haven't come up with a good way to do it yet. I will however try your way of at least forcing myself to believe in my success and doing everything possible to find "me time" every day; it's at the very least a good start.
I'm sorry I'm not able to be of much help, but I do thank you for writing this piece. It's good to know other people are going through similar things as you, and hopefully some people will have some ideas about how to tackle this problem.