Monday, February 1, 2010

Dear Writers Block -

Dear Writer's Block –

It’s not you, it’s me.

You’ve been great company, don’t get me wrong. I appreciate your visit! Writer's Block, you have always been there to support me, especially when I need an excuse. You are so kind to remind me that sleep is the practical thing to do, laundry should be folded, or that there is a new episode of Project Runway on the DVR. I love that you remind me of all the other things I should do. What a kind guest you are, to help me with my daily activities!

The problem, Writer's Block, is I need my space. Sometimes guests overstay their welcome. But you! No, no, you NEVER overstay your welcome. Of course not! I don’t mind that you are the type of guest that scatters everything around my home and persistently reminding me that you are around. I simply need some time to myself, some time to grow as an individual. People need their space, you know.

And well, I’m sorry Writer's Block, but you have a tendency to be the jealous type. When pen and paper come close to me, you are quick to flash a glaring eye at them, and they scurry away like squirrels in the park. Or if my fingers and the keyboard decide to casually mingle and strike up a conversation, you cut between them and drag my hands away!

Don’t worry, that’s not a big deal. I promise. It just never seems to work out when you and I get together. I become so absorbed by you, that you interfere with my goals. I think it is time for you to visit someone else. I’ve reminded you of some great qualities you have, it’s time to share those gifts with some other lucky individual. You make a great companion, and you’ll make some other writer very happy! Don’t doubt yourself, Writer's Block; I’m sure there are plenty of others who see the same good in you that I do.

No tears will be shed, as I’m sure we’ll meet again. I know how much you love to come by unexpectedly! For now, we just need to go our separate ways.

It’s not you, it’s me.

Until we meet again,
MLH Weber

No comments: